Saturday 16 July 2011

My Bike - Kinesis Maxlight




Well I can't claim to be a cycle enthusiast and not at least introduce you to my bike! So here it is my six year old Kinesis Maxlight.  Its nothing ultra flash, but it rides well and now Ive just stripped and resealed my forks is working as well as the first day I put it together.  It was a project bike, I put it together myself even building my own wheels.  I wanted something light but still be strong.  At a smidgen under 23lbs I think I achieved that as it is a joy to ride uphill and tough enough on the descents.

A quick overview of its spec:  Pace RC36 stealth forks
                                              Shimano XT throughout (except Sram 90 cassette and Sram Chain)
                                              Thomson seat post and Fi'zik saddle
                                              Hope Stem and Salsa Promoto carbon bars
                                              DT 240s hubs and DT swiss rims and spokes, Swalbe Nobby Nic Tyres

Most people seem to change their bikes yearly, but why?  not much has changed with the bikes and with some good tlc you can keep bikes going for years.  My road bike isn't quite so pretty, its my work horse and takes the brunt of my commutes to work.  I'll show a picture later......maybe when I've cleaned her again!

1 Comments:

I'm with you. I bought my maxlight on the recommendation of my LBS over 10 years ago and I've loved it ever since. I fitted Pace RC31 carbon fiber rigid forks, Shimano M540 16 spoke wheels XT gear set and Deore V-brakes.
I recently decided to look for a new full sus. I'd decided on a Canyon Nerve but when the wife asked what I'd do with my old bike I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.
In the end I decided to do some minor upgrades (well so i told the wife when she asked what I'd spent) I've just fitted Easton Vise wheels, Shimano disks, Raceface Evolve front rings and tubeless tires. I'm also waiting on delivery of a Limited edition Spank Oozy titanium stem, Bontrager Carbon fiber bars and FSA carbon seat post. I have no idea how much weight I've shed, the bike was light before but its a feather.
Yes I know I could have had a new bike but I couldn't say goodbye my maxlight.

Post a Comment